The NiCeR project had a two-year objective that started in December 2015. Its aim is empowering refugee youth through performing arts workshops as well as fostering a welcoming culture and intercultural education through awareness campaigns in the cities where they live.
30 young refugees and locals will come together, create and perform a musical, based on their personal stories and the testimonies of their families. On top of the creative workshop, language classes and cross-cultural training will provide them the tools they need to understand each other and be part of the city where they live.
The project takes place in Timisoara and is replicated in 6 European partner cities: Rome, Brussels, Sevilla, Berlin, Liverpool and Nicos.
Target group: in each partner city, 15 refugees and 15 non-refugees between 9 and 25 years old
- Creative writing and theater workshop: 4 months, 4 hours/week, guided by a theater instructor: intercultural icebreakers to get to know each others, writing the screenplay, dialogues, songs of the musical, acting and performing class: distribution of roles, rehearsals, choreography, create costumes, set up the scenery, lights, sound and props
- Language and cross-cultural training: 4 months, 2 hours/week, guided by a language teacher: locals share songs and stories from their country with the refugees through role Play
- Production of a transeuropean documentary on the project
- Awareness campaign in primary and secondary schools in the Timisoara area.
- Strengthen youth participation in cultural and social life at the local level
- Develop their creativity, self-esteem and socialisation
- Empower and give a voice to young refugees
- Promote exchanges and friendships between refugees and locals
- Promote tolerance and mutual respect
- Provide a creative space and languages skills
- Go beyond stereotypes
- CIOFS – Lead Partner (IT)
- Alfea Cinematografica Pisa (IT)
- MCCS Commune de Molenbeek (BE)
- IIT Bucharest (RO)
- RARe Studio Liverpool (UK)
- Citizens for Europe (DE)
- KISA Cyprus (CY)
- Pluralis ASBL (BE)
- Fundaciòn Juventud y Cultura (ES)
This project is financed by European Commision
Transnational meetings of the partners
January 27, 2016: Opening Meeting of the project – Rome, Italy
March 15, 2016: Transnational meeting – Brussels, Belgium
June 22 – 23, 2016: Transnational meeting – Nicosia, Ciprus
October 05 – 06, 2016: Transnational meeting – Berlin, Germany